Friday, March 30, 2007

Song from Maggie

As I widen my peripheral vision, I can see that we not only learn from our children (the ones we raise and kiss at night, worry and fret over, sometimes lose it with), but in this Information Age, we have an unprecedented opportunity to learn from all children.

Today, I received an email from Maggie Longmier, friend, songwriter and poet who lives in Knoxville, Tennessee. She wrote a song I've included on this blog, "Tears Turned Promises," about Darfur where 2.5 million men, women and children have been driven from their homes. They face starvation, disease and rape. The ones who stay risk displacement, torture and murder. All a far cry from life in the states and yet close to us all, if we will look.

The question of "What am I to learn from my children?" is profound. The next question of "Who are my children?" runs even deeper.

With my children, it is mine to know that there are no guarantees, no promises. I know that having watched three of my friends lose their teen-age sons. I know, from experience, that there is no perfect parent. I tried, watched my friends try, and saw a myriad of variations on mistakes. One of our jobs as parents is to be honestly human. That's what we are: human beings.

I do know that my internal clarity matters more when interacting with my children than any words or techniques (though certain words and techniques are more helpful than others!)

And, when I open my heart, I know that each child in Darfur has something to teach me, too. I know that their lives matter to me and that the well-being of my own children and their future is connected to lives in the Sudan because of our undeniable human connection which has always been.


If you want to learn more about what is happening in Darfar, please go to http://www.savedarfur.org/.

And, listen to Maggie's song.
Click to Download

Jan

No comments: