Saturday, May 5, 2007

Jeffrey Sachs

Black Elk, a Ogala Sioux once wisely said, "We are related to all things: the earth and the stars--everything."

Jeffrey Sachs, foremost economist and advisor, speaks of this same mystery in a series of talks with the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2007/ Sachs lectures about our interconnectedness and urges us to stop spending money on war and start building a solid infrastructure for the poor (clean water, food, shelter). He cautions about new diseases impacting us all.

It's easy for my mind to hear this message and be fearful. But if I step away from my fear and open my heart, I can hear Sachs message. Sure, I can listen to my children as I parent them. I can learn from them. But what about their future? Ten million people die every year from poverty related issues, and it makes sense to the head and the heart to address these issues. www.open2.net.

No comments: