Thursday, August 30, 2007

Voice Movement Therapy

Jackson, our three week old grandson, is vocal--more so than I remember our children being. I think it's because his mom, while birthing him, used Voice Movement Therapy throughout. Her birthing experience was so powerful--her voice so expressive and open--that the midwife has asked, "Now who was it you did VMT with?" She has another mom-to-be who wants to prepare for childbirth with our daughter's VMT therapist, Kelly Close.

Having my own voice has been an issue for me. I was raised in the South, third daughter and by the time I came along, I don't think my parents had the bandwidth to hear me. And, being a child, I took it personally--thinking that meant I had nothing to say.

Jackson seems to have a head start. He's a noisy guy--not with crying but with the full expression of whatever he is experiencing. I think he got it from being in the birthing canal and hearing his mom, chanting and singing her way through childbirth. Her voice, his voice--to him it's the same. He still knows we are one, and he doesn't mind telling us.

No comments: